National Library of Albania
National Library of Albania Although library institutions of Albanians in their country are relatively new, the library tradition in Albania is old. Numerous testimonies prove that during the Middle Ages. In the courtyards of Albanian princes, generals. Contests, arches, etc. The chancellery functioned in all three of the continent’s major languages: Latin, Greek, Slavic, and their respective libraries.
The geo-historical position of Albanians in the transition from. West to East and vice versa enabled them to contact the libraries with both Constantinople and the “beyond” developments. Ottoman censorship was a violent breakthrough of these developments. Nevertheless, even in almost five centuries Ottoman rule. Albanians did not lose the library tradition. In the new conditions. It was largely passed through the libraries of the great families of beehives. But also those of religious institutions: Benedictine abbeys, Franciscan and Jesuit assemblies, Orthodox monasteries, Madrasas, Bektashi masks, etc.
The National Library of Albania
The National Library of Albania (hereinafter BKSh), as the first state, public and secular institution. Holds its date of its establishment on July 10, 1920. As its nucleus was the library fund of the “Albanian Literary Commission”. A joint Albanian body -austrian, established in the city of Shkodra in 1917 in the well-known contingents of the First World War. In 1920 this fund was established at the Ministry of Education, Tirana. After 1920, efforts were made to enrich this fund, as well as to reorganize the library as a national institution.
At the time of inauguration as BKSh, in 1922, it had about 6,000 volumes. For the pre-war period, its activity dates back to the years of the Albanian Kingdom (1928-1937). When the institution was headed by the patriot and the Albanian language poet Sotir Kolea.
The ending of World War II
The ending of World War II was found by the AKM with a collection of 15,000 volumes. It settled in one of the best buildings of that time, which still serves as its “annex” today. Albanian-style collections increased mainly as a result of the confiscation. Of some libraries and private library of personalities of culture. By the end of 1947 its fund numbered about 100,000 volumes. Important event for BKSh, but also for national culture. Was the 31.05.1948 issue of the decree “On compulsory sending of prints to the National Library”. According to which a number of copies of each printing company were sent for free. This decree allowed the BKSh to perform the role of the archival center of all. Publications of the country and then publish the National Bibliography of the Albanian book.
The decree has been amended several times. Publishers are obliged to send BKSh out of 5 copies of each of their publications. From the Institute of Science subordinate institution, in 1959. BKSh subordinated to the Ministry of Education and Culture. In 1966, she moved to a part of the new building of the Palace of Culture.
The democratic changes of the 90s brought about change in the policies of the National Library. From the model of Eastern European libraries. With extreme limitations in providing information and using some categories of literature. It moved to removing restrictive barriers of this nature. Moving towards full freedom of information for users.